This is Fauzan from Opus Consultants
(Malaysia) Sdn Bhd. I would like to ask you regarding SoilWorks Slope
Module. I had run analysis for fill embankment cases. I put geotextile under
fill embankment and noticed on output results, there are no different Factor of
Safety (FOS) for with and without geotextile (which is same FOS results both
cases). My question are:
1) How to consider geotextile in
calculation analysis? as there is no option for geotextile in 'Add/Modify
Analysis Case' (as shown in attachment Screenshot 1).
2) Currently to exclude geotextile, I
unclick on 'Structural Property' (as shown in attachment Screenshot 2) and
re-run analysis. Output FOS results still the same with previous analysis with
3) For geotextile input under ' Define
Structural Property', we noticed there are optional element type for
'Strip/Fabric(LEM)' and 'Geogrid' (as shown in attachment Screenshot 3). Both
element type I tried to used for analysis but the results keep the same. Which
one is preferable for limit equilibrium slope stability analysis?
Attached also my 'SoilWorks Slope
module' file case analysis for your checking.
Hopefully you can assist me
on this matter.
See attached video. Please reverse orientation of the curve where geotextile has been defined.
1. There is no option for this. You have to save model in separate file. One with Geotextile one with no Geotextile.
2. The same as 1.
3. For LEM analysis you can use related Properties only like below. Geogrid is used for SRM or SAM or C Stage analysis type only.
Hi Mr. Stepien,
Thank you for your prompt response, my following query:
1) Can you explain why we need to put 'reverse line axis / reverse orientation' (yes its work and FOS increase) on geotextile line? as I am not clear on its.
2) Under 'Define Structural Property', what is 'Width' referring to? Is it refer to width of line geotextile that we define? (as shown in attachment Screenshot)
Please look inside Online help.
Hi Mr. Stepien,
Regarding on question number 2:
I run analysis under LEM method. Hence, I need to used element type 'Strip/Fabric(LEM)' instead of 'Geogrid' for modeling as geotextile. For element type 'Strip/Fabric(LEM)' its required to define 'Width' under 'Define Structural Property'.
Is it referring to width of line geotextile that we modeling as line? (shown in attachment)
It is strip width in lateral direction. You are applying tensile reinforcement force.
To calculate stress length is given by curve and width has to be specified.